The Board of Directors have been fielding many calls, texts, and emails regarding the recent news of TCC joining the BGYFL. As Gary mentioned in the initial email regarding the transition, The Board did a thorough analysis of the area options. BGYFL fit our program the best, for now, and for many seasons to come. For a few seasons now, the registration numbers have been declining for a multitude of reasons. Regarding TCC, most of our decline can be attributed to our community now being called “mature” We no longer have the massive subdivisions being built. The families with kids that have moved on to High School or College are staying put. With that being said, here are some common questions we have been answering.
Dates for 2019:
- Registration open: February 3rd
- Early Bird Pricing Ends: March 31st
- Equipment Handout: Typically one in June and one in July. Exact dates will be announced soon!
- Camps: Keep an eye out for camp dates as we announce them this spring!
- Season Starts:
- Evaluation Week: Starts July 29th. July 29 & 30, Helmet Only, July 31, August 1 & 2 full pads. Teams finalized at the end of the week.
- Pigskin Classic (practice games weekend): TBD, keep an eye out for the exact date.
- Regular Season Starts: Weekend of August 24 & 25
- Regular Season Last Weekend: October 19 & 20
- Playoff Start Weekend: October 26 & 27
- Super Bowl Weekend: November 9 & 10
- Will my son have a place to play?
A) Yes, every player will have a place/team to play.
- How many teams will there be?
A) We are planning on two teams per age level. The hope is that there will be more, but at least that. A Gold team and a Silver team. There is the potential to have 2 teams at each Gold or Silver level, depending on registration.
- How are the teams selected?
A) All participants will be evaluated at the same time. There will no longer be a separate try out for what used to be “Travel” This process depends on how many participants we have at each level. The Gold Coach will select the Gold team. The board, to ensure balanced teams on the Silver Division, will divide the remaining participants up equally. Note: 8u Tackle and Flag teams don't have Gold teams. All teams will be divided evenly.
- How does this affect Cheerleading?
A) Cheer will be still be offered in both the Sideline (home games most likely) as well as the Competition teams. Competition will compete in statewide IRCA competitions.
- How will the Coaches be selected?
A) Just like in the past, the Board will vet all volunteers to Head Coach. This process includes, but is not limited to, past experience, end of year surveys, knowledge of the game.
- What days do we practice and play on and how many games will we play?
A) Practices are typically 5 days a week until school starts, then 3 days a week. Most coaches do some combination of Tuesday, Thursday and then one other day, but due to the fact our coaches are volunteers we allow them to make their own schedule. Practices typically start at 5:30 or 6pm and go for 2 hours. Games will be played on either Saturday or Sunday. Historically within the BGYFL, teams will play 9 regular season games. Playoffs usually consist of 3 weeks. The BGYFL regular season starts weekend of 8/24-25. Schedules will not be posted until a week or two before games start.
- Will there be a Super Bowl still, and what about National Tournaments?
A) BGYFL does have an end of the year Playoffs, concluding at Benedictine University. There is also the potential for other post BGYFL Tournament games. More info to come in the Spring on this topic.
- What is a “Striper”?
A) A “striper” is someone that is over the “legal” running weight per division. Players over this weight are still allowed to play with the same age kids; they are just not allowed to carry the ball. There are also some rules as to where the stripers are available to play. No kickoff or kick return. As well as they can only play either the Defensive Line or Offensive Line. These rules align with our old “in-house” rules. See here for striper weight details: http://bgyfl.org/?page_id=2047
- What are uniforms going to look like?
A) There will be one home jersey and one away jersey. Those are being redesigned as we speak, and we are positive the players will LOVE them.
- Will Tri City Chargers still say true to their Core Principles?
A) Yes, Tri City will still strive to maintain the highest player safety possible, along with player development.
- When will evaluations be held?
A) All registered players will take part of evaluations at the same time, the week of July 29th 2019
- If I want to be a Head Coach, what do I do?
A) Please email email@example.com to put your name in for Head Coaching Opportunities. Only Head Coaches will be named to start the season.
- If I would like to help with Cheer, what do I do?
A) Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be put in contact with our Cheer Director
- What is your refund policy?
A) There is a $75.00 non-refundable fee per registration for any cancellations before June 1st. The fee after June 1st is $125 per registration and all equipment must be returned before the refund will be processed. If a multi-registration discount was given, the refund amount will be taken from the lower amount paid regardless of which sibling is requesting the refund. The registration fee is NOT refundable after July 15th. No processing fees, late fees or other non-registration fees will be refunded at any time. All refund questions should be directed to the TCYFA Registrar at email@example.com .
15. What ages can play?
A) All ages are based on the player's age on 7/31 of the current year. Flag is for 5, 6 and 7 year olds. 6, 7 and 8 year olds can play 8U Tackle. Then 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 year olds can play tackle. A 14 year old can play tackle if they are not in high school.